Neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) involves the use of a device which transmits an electrical impulse to the skin over selected muscle groups by way of electrodes. There are two broad categories of NMES. One type of device stimulates the muscle when the patient is in a resting state, in order to treat muscle atrophy. The second type is used to enhance the functional activity of neurologically impaired patients.
This device is single patient use and is designed for use in the home to treat muscle atrophy due to lack of use or surgery.
- Relaxation of muscle spasms
- Prevention or retardation of disuse atrophy
- Increasing local blood circulation
- Muscle re-education
- Immediate post-surgical stimulation of calf muscles to prevent venous thrombosis
- Maintaining or increasing range of motion
Powered muscle stimulators should only be used under medical supervision for adjunctive therapy for the treatment of medical diseases and conditions
The Manaflexx 2 device has several advantages over conventional EMS devices.
1. Completely portable no wires or bulky devices.
2. It can be placed anywhere treatment is desired.
3. Battery operated.
4. Reusable simply replace pads and batteries.
Doctors prescribe EMS for post-surgical rehab on a regular basis, however, it has several applications in everyday Training, Recovery, and Rehabilitation. For training, electrical muscle stimulation with the Manaflexx can provide greater contraction as compared to a normal voluntary contraction, up to 30% higher. Thus more muscles are being used. (i.e. more muscle fiber recruitment).
Another benefit of using the Manaflexx in training is the order of muscle recruitment velocity. Normally, your body would use red fiber (slow twitch) first to do a specified movement, followed by white fiber (fast twitch) when needed. However, with EMS, the order is reversed with the white fibers activating first, thus this type of "muscle training" is beneficial for all speed, power and:
- PROVIDES POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE TO PHYSICAL THERAPY: ManaFlexx offers physicians another avenue for prescribing NMES.
- PROVIDES CONVENIENT HOME THERAPY: As hospital stays continue to shorten, physical therapy visits decrease, Manaflexx provides a solution for patients to take home and keep. This allows facilities to offer NMES for up to a month after surgery, without the hassle of renting or servicing equipment.
- LOWERS TOTAL COST: Bundled payment of care initiatives are driving single payment for an orthopedic episode within 90 days of surgery, including physical therapy.
5-year warranty on all parts and controls, except the battery and the gel pads.
Get All Your Questions Answered
Pick Your Preferred Time In less than 30 seconds To Connect With Opry Medical Group.